Both larches I have I brought from Manchester, Tony Tickles Burrs Bonsai Workshop. One of them I bought for the workshop which Tony found and arranged for me (Thanks Tony!). The other one I got from Mikey (Thanks Mikey!).
Both of the trees were outside most of the winter and a short time period in the cold frame. I took them out end of March but we had so terribly slow Spring this year that only about 10 days ago it got substantially warmer and nights above zero so their wake up was very very slow. I waited for some foliage to grow to take the first photos.
Here they are!
The “Tickled” larch
As the tree was arranged by Tony for me I named it the “Tickled” one 🙂
I modified the branches/wiring and cut some out since the workshop. I left too many too long, being too scared. It is better now, I think.
I just love this tree!!! 🙂
More jins to be done next year. Now they serve as anchors for wiring so I couldn’t carve them.
The pot I did myself 🙂 The clay I used was “Terrazzo Blue” and was supposed to have blueish spots on light grey background. When I just got it from the oven it looked so blue that I thought it is a disaster. Luckily the color faded away after couple of watering. I wanted some blue color so when the autumn comes with orange/yellow foliage color those should fit together. Time will show if I was right. I am satisfied with the pot though the leg didn’t come out so well, too dominant. But for now it stays there.
I had some problems while potting the tree. It had incredible roots but the trunk split in 2 directions under the soil surface. I had to shorten it somewhat to fit into the pot. The tree itself is a little bit too high in it, should go deeper but it just didn’t fit. Next re-potting I will try to shorten it more to get it deeper. Like it is now the negative taper is visible in the beginning of the trunk which was under the soil in the old pot.
I also had issues to stabilize the tree which I didn’t solve the best way.
The “Mikey” Larch
This larch is now in a wrong pot but was the only one which fitted its size. I cut off a part of the top of the tree as it was too heavy in my opinion. Almost all branches I brought more down. After the modification I realized that I love this tree too! 🙂 The “nebari” is non existent and some work to be done in the years to come…if anything succeeds. The tree looks much better in nature.
Below is not so successful photo from slightly above.
From the very beginning the foliage of these 2 trees differed in color. I thought it to be just difference in light but it wasn’t. Here is how the foliage looks when compared:
The “Tickled” one has more blueish foliage. The “Mikey” one more light green. According to this link the “Tickled” one is a Japanese larch (Larix kaempferi) while the “Mikey” one is a European larch (Larix decidua). I somehow doubt the other one is really decidua, rather it is a cross-over of both of these.
Anyway, I am glad I have 2 different ones.
I am very satisfied with both of the trees! They look great (much better than the photos) and more ramification will make great trees of them I believe.